Thursday, May 26, 2011

Space

Space:  Noun

1.  The region beyond the earth's atmosphere containing
     the other planets of the solar system, stars, galaxies, etc.,  universe


On Monday, May 16, my husband and I had the opportunity to
watch the 25th and final launch of the space shuttle Endeavour.  The
Endeavour was constructed as a replacement for Challenger, which
was lost in the launch accident in 1986.

We viewed this historical moment from Titusville, along-side
the Indian River.  Even though we have witnessed numerous launches,
we are always in awe of what we are experiencing...the excitement is
always new and fresh, as if experiencing it for the very first time.

Endeavour lifted-off, as scheduled, at 8:56 am.  As always, it was
breath-taking...





My husband waiting for launch time...
  


The large building in the center is the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building).
   


Me - People watching...
  


A Seagull in the clouds...
 

Fish jumping...

Me waiting for launch time...

Countdown, 10...9...8...

L i f t  o f  f !!!!













Behind the clouds...




 
 Part of the launch experience is the crowd...so many people have come
from out of state, even out of the country, for the once in a life-time
chance to view a space launch...

Cars and spectators can be seen for miles along US HWY 1...

A typical street corner...


The crowd includes many photographers & motor homes...

And sometimes...photographers ON motor homes.

 There are also vendors selling posters, T-shirts, post cards and assorted
"space memorabilia"...
T shirts for sale...

Toilets & T-shirt advertising....

Endeavour poster....Last Chance...$5.00
FREE Parking becomes FEE Parking...

Traffic...Lots of traffic, with an additional 500,000 visitors in the area.

Go Endeavour!!

It was a perfect launch and a perfect day. 

GODSPEED ENDEAVOUR!!



















1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy!
    I am so glad that you captured the Endeavor shuttle launch in photos on your blog. I LOVE all the photos but my very favorite is the one of you sitting alone with your back to the camera looking out to the Indian River waiting on the launch. I recognized all the familiar places in Titusville...some restaurants...that you have posted. Seeing them makes me feel like I was truly there with you!!! You know one of the things I like about Titusville is the fact that it has never changed much. Who wants a hometown that you don't even recognize years later when you return home to visit? It is nice to come "home" and be able to point out the high school you went to as a teenager or the water tower that your boyfriend (my hubby) climbed as a teenager and wrote your name at the top. (yes, he did that...) Whenever I watch the movie, Sweet Home Alabama, I always think of Titusville. Your photos of the launch are amazing! I had tears in my eyes watching the shuttle climb towards the heavens. What a great memory for you watching history being made as the last Endeavor Shuttle launch was counted down. Something you will always remember. I was with you in spirit at that launch, my dear friend. My Dad and brother, as you know, both worked at the space center helping to put men and missiles into space. As the shuttle goes up, a part of my heart goes with it... We were raised with the space program there in Brevard County. We got to witness historic launches from our little hometown. We were very lucky to grow up watching astronauts launch into space... Thank you for bringing us along with you to watch the Endeavor lift off into space. I feel that I was there, too. Much love to you! xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete